October 11, 2019

Rodenticides an Urgent Threat to Pets in California

Rodenticide, more commonly known as rat poison, is incredibly toxic to pets. Recent reports of rodenticide poisonings in California pose an urgent danger to pet parents all over the state.

What's going on?

This summer, two wild mountain lions were found dead in the Santa Monica Mountains after ingesting rat poison. Most likely, the big cats died as a result of toxicity from ingesting poisoned rats themselves.

Multiple rodenticides were found in the bodies of both mountain lions: bromadiolone, brodifacoum, chlorophacinone, difethialone and diphacinone.

Why does this matter to you?

Rodenticides are a threat to your pet. Although there was a push earlier in the year to actually ban certain second generation anticoagulant rodenticides (SGARs) in CA, the legislation never made it past the floor. Rodenticides are widely available in hardware stores, grocery stores, and online to consumers all over the state, some of whom can be careless with their application.

The greatest risk to dogs and cats comes from directly ingesting rat poison. If you live in a rural area where rats and rodents are common, it's entirely possible other members of your community may be leaving rodenticide out in the open. There's also the risk of exposure that comes from eating rodents who have themselves ingested the toxins; cats are especially prone.

If you have reason to suspect rodenticides in your area - a recent mouse outbreak, the unwanted presence of mountain lions, etc. - keep your pet on a leash at all times outdoors and never allow them to eat or scavenge prey.

How can rodenticides hurt your pet?

Rodenticides are designed to kill, not injure, rodents. The compounds in rat poison keep blood from clotting, so small animals who ingest them will eventually hemorrhage to death. Because the poisons are still present in the carcases of dead rats, mice, gophers, and other rodents, animals who scavenge carrion are at risk of secondary poisoning.

A pet who ingests rodenticides may suffer from uncontrollable bleeding. They may also experience a number of neurological issues. Symptoms of rodenticide poisoning may include loss of appetite (anorexia), seizures, impaired movement, paralysis, muscle tremors, and a depression of the central nervous system and can appear anywhere from one to two days after ingestion to up to two weeks later.

If you suspect your pet has been exposed to rat poison, take them to an emergency veterinary clinic immediately for treatment.

 

Other recent posts from our blog

September 17, 2020

What Is A Spay & What Types Exist?

If your furry friend is scheduled for a spay procedure, you may have a few questions as to what this process entails. In this article we’ll dive into the details of what a spay is and the different types that exist for our beloved companions.

September 16, 2020

Decoding what your vet and breeder are saying when it comes to spay and neutering

For new pet owners — and even for seasoned dog parents — there’s a lot of new information to take in. And there are so many resources available — in books, online, through breeders, through shelters, and through veterinarians. It can be a lot to unpack!

September 14, 2020

Training your puppy via Zoom? Here's how to get the most out of virtual training

If you don't properly exercise your pup, they may start to act out or develop bad habits that require extensive training to resolve. Here is what happens to your dog's behavior if they don't exercise.